Thursday, January 10, 2008

Broadway

One of the artists, Marci Glenn, from a group I belong to, Art-E-Zine, created her blog the other day and posed a very interesting question for those in the 'art world'. She said that every artist has some type of 'signature' that always appears in their art and her goal for this year was to figure out what her signature is. Her blog is: http://marciglenn.wordpress.com/
What a great question! So, I'm trying to figure out what my signature is. And, looking at my blog from a visitor perspective, I would say my signature is "vintage showgirl". What do you think?

When I was a little girl and my family and I went to Six Flags...guess what my most favorite thing to do was at this huge amusement park? Well, I'll tell you, it wasn't the roller coasters, rides, food and shopping...no - none of that...it was the SHOWS!!!! I remember sitting in the audience in anticipation of the big show that was to come (and cooling off because that was the only place in the entire park that had A/C!). I was so excited and in awe of those beautiful ladies in their colorful sparkly costumes singing and dancing and smiling. And, some of you may remember this...in one act there were these fake dancer puppet showgirls that came down from the ceiling on swings! It was so cool!! Okay...that was kind of cheesy, but I was like ten!

My grandparents took me to a lot of live performances...different plays, concerts and dances. Have you heard of Johnny High's Musical Review? Every Saturday night...we would be there and see performances by different talent from around the world. Of course, this was all on a military budget, so I never really saw the fancy musicals and plays on Broadway or anything. Only later in life, I have had the luxury occassionally to see some expensive musicals and ballets. Being in dance most of my life and a dancer myself, I sometimes still think I could be one of those showgirls....hmmmm, I wonder? Anyhow, it's always good to have a dream no matter how old you get, right?! During my first trip to Las Vegas, I couldn't wait to see a real live Las Vegas show...forget the gambling! So, my husband and I purchased tickets to a show that has been in Vegas since it began I think and the tickets were not quite so expensive, we were just old enough to drink at the time. And, while I was sitting in the audience, it felt just a little bit different as I was sitting waiting for the show...I didn't know what it was. Well...when the curtains rose and the dancers came out...OMG...THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY TOPS ON!!! Holy cow...totally freaked me out!! LOL...I was (and still am) so naive. Me personally, I prefer the costumes that cover and add just a little hint of naughtiness, ya know. I love the froufrou...feathers, bustles, petticoats, swinging skirts, all that good stuff.

So, I know this post has nothing to do with my latest art creations...but it does have some insight as to my style, which I find somewhat comforting.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...